Where to go for care
It’s important to find a regular Primary Care Provider (PCP) you trust for ongoing attention to your health, but here are some guidelines when something comes up:
See your PCP (or a Virtual Doctor Visit) ifIt’s a minor issue, like a cold or bumps and scrapes. This is usually the least expensive option. (A Virtual Doctor Visit is a $15 copay.*)
Go to Urgent Care ifIt’s more involved, like back pain, stitches or X-rays. Generally more cost-effective than an ER visit.
Go to the ER ifIt can’t wait. Any life-threatening or sudden severe condition, call 911 and/or go to the emergency room.
Common or chronic conditions
Whatever health issue you’re dealing with, we can help.
Behavioral health & substance disorder services
When you’re feeling overwhelmed, you shouldn’t have to wait for regular office hours. Whether for everyday challenges or more serious problems, your behavioral health benefit offers access to online resources around the clock.
- Anxiety and stress
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Anger management
- Coping with grief or loss
- Marital problems
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Compulsive spending or gambling
- Medication management
From weight management and other diabetes prevention strategies to cost-effective care if you’re living with the disease, we’re here with the resources to help you stay on top of your health.
- Our Real Appeal program is designed to give you access to experts who’ll help you develop, and stick with, a healthy weight loss plan.
- Your PCP can help guide you to CDC-certified, onsite diabetes prevention programs.
When you’re expecting, you can expect help from us, every step of the way. The UnitedHealthcare Healthy Pregnancy® app puts useful tools and tips, along with anytime access to a nurse, right at your fingertips—helping keep both of you in good health, before, during and after your baby is born.
- 24/7 support from a live nurse, just a click away.
- Medically approved information on symptoms and concerns, along with topics like what to expect during labor or your next doctor visit.
- Tools and resources to track your weight, your baby’s development and more, plus access to related benefits and cost estimators.
We help make it easier Download the app on the App Store® or Google Play®
Chiropractic & Acupuncture
- All credentialed caregivers, easily searched on uhc.com/CalPERS. For how, see the Resources.)
- Direct access—no referral needed.
- No deductible, just a $15 copay per visit in the network—up to 20 visits, combined, per year.
- No claims forms to fill out; your provider coordinates all services and billing directly with OptumHealth.
3,000+ chiropractors**950+ acupuncturists**